Marketing Tips« Back to Ideas Collection
More Marketing Tips
- • Hook Your Audience with Habit-Forming Products
- • Make Your Brand Impossible to Resist with Fascination
- • How to Stand Out in a 3-Second World
- • 3 Keys for Reaching an Entitled Generation
- • Incredible One-Liners: Crafting a Magical Sentence to Grow Your Business
- • 3 Ways to Sabotage Your Next Direct Mail Piece (And How to Market Smarter)
- • Marketing to the Smallest Viable Audience
- • 5 Reasons to Consider a Rebrand for Your Business
- • Build Your Brand with the 4 P’s of Marketing
- • 5 Elements of an Irresistible Offer
- • How Magnetic Marketing Cements Customer Loyalty
- • How to Persuade Prospects to Say Yes
- • How to Make Your Idea Stick
- • How to Perfect Your Sales Copy
- • The Power of Simplicity in Marketing
- • Funnel Your Efforts in the Right Direction
- • Only As Strong As Your Weakest Touch Point
- • Smart Companies Get People Talking
- • 6 Steps To Customer-Centric Writing
- • Sell With Words That Inspire
- • Creating a Category of One
- • Four Keys to Building Customer Relations
- • Eye-Stopping Headlines
- • Powerful Business Cards
- • Design Direct Mail That Sells
- • Create a Great New Logo
Smart Companies Get People Talking
Growing your brand and business takes work. When you take advantage of the right tools it can help you become more visible, gain the trust of others, and increase your bottom line. Although technology is a helpful way to enhance your marketing strategy, sometimes, going back to the basics can also be one of the best things you can do.
What is the one tactic that has always worked?
You can't buy this type of advertising, and when people recommend your business, others listen. Knowing the five Ts of word-of-mouth marketing and how it can work for you is key. Here's what you need to know:
Who will tell their friends about you? Be tuned in to who will tell others about your business. Think about what you can do to get them talking and take it from there. If you're offering specials, these are the people you give the exclusive deal to first, and then tell them to tell others. Make them an ambassador of sorts by giving others a discount when they mention that person's name.
What will they talk about? Is your business very accommodating? How is your customer service? What does your website look like? Can they place an order online? All of these make a difference and helps the talkers sing your praise.
How can you help the message travel? Be proactive. Have the talkers link you to their social media. Have you ever had a social session at your place of business? Get the radio station down there, have some freebies and discounts, and make it a community event.
4. Taking Part
How should you join the conversation? Have you partnered with the schools to do something for free, or have you volunteered to speak about what you do? Meet the neighboring businesses. Join the Chamber of Commerce and network. Engage with your audience on social media. Not to sell anything, but to have a real conversation. All of this makes a difference and gives the talkers something to talk about. When you join the conversation in a non-selling way, you welcome a better response for other channels of marketing later, like a targeted direct-mail campaign.
How will you know what people are saying about you? Once you have implemented tools like savings discounts and specials, and have partnered with the community, you will get the feedback you are seeking. If your customer base is growing, you will know people are talking. Get people to add a review or two online, so others who are searching for your services will be able to read first-hand reviews.
Use these five Ts of word-of-mouth marketing and watch how impactful it can be. Integrating the old with the new can be effective and produce amazing results now and in the future.
by Andy Sernovitz
With straightforward advice and humour, word of mouth expert Andy Sernovitz will show you how the world's most respected and profitable companies get their best customers for free through the power of word of mouth. Learn the five essential steps that make word of mouth work and everything you need to get started. Understand how easy it is to work with social media, viral marketing, evangelists, and buzz. Start using simple techniques that start conversations: 3 Reasons People Talk About You; 4 Rules of Word of Mouth Marketing; 5 Ts of Word of Mouth Marketing; 6 Big Ideas: Deep Stuff That Changes Marketing Forever. Find out what sparks the irrepressible enthusiasm of Apple and TiVo fans. Understand why everyone is talking about a certain restaurant, car, band, or dry cleaner -- and why other businesses and products are ignored. Discover why some products become huge successes without a penny of promotion -- and why some multi-million-dollar advertising campaigns fail to get noticed. Open your eyes to a new way of doing business: Honest marketing makes more money, because customers who trust you will talk about you. Learn how to be the remarkable company that people want to share with their friends.